Sunday, July 11, 2010

Post-Class Reflection on Dewey

There are always so many ideas from class and the readings that I could write about, but I would like to focus this response on Jeff's question: What is/should be the social function of school?

This reminds me of an earlier conversation that Chris brought up (in another class, I think) about inculturation and also makes me think about Antonia's question of whose home should be/is being modeled in the classroom (in response to Dewey). This more focused question on the social role (and influence) of the teacher is probably the one I have wrestled most with in approaching a philosophy of teaching of my own. Who am I to say what is good and acceptable? At the same time, though, I have a deeply rooted and firm belief and hope that all of my students will pursue higher education. What if they don't want to? I think that if they truly had goals that lay elsewhere, I would be able to accept their choice (as if I should be able to attribute value to my opinion on the matter). However, if they chose against dreaming of college because I did not do justice to contribute to the self-concept of their potential, then I would be heartbroken. But, where is the line that separates my being a good teacher and imparting and indoctrinating students with my values?

This takes my thoughts to the "Shy Guy" video. While David Smart's intentions were good, was the creation of such films ultimately a service or disservice to students and the school? Could our use of technology in the classroom and the remarks we make about socially-acceptable choices have the same impact? Maybe we truly won't know the consequences of our choices and practices until 20 years later. I don't know if I'm ready to accept that.

6 comments:

  1. Amanda, I have also been thinking lately about how my personal beliefs and philosophies may affect my teaching and therefore my students. I'm guessing that sometimes these will manifest in ways I can't anticipate. But this is impossible to avoid completely, right? I think the first step is to be aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You make an interesting point. It's pretty amazing how long it's taken for doctor/lawyer/C.E.O to lose sway as the only dream jobs. I have to wonder how much of that is teachers accepting that their students may be amazing at math, but dream of being an artist.

    I think it helps if one can be realistic (not everyone can afford to pursue those well established "dream jobs". Should we look down on them for doing the best that they can given the circumstances?) and be openminded (not everyone may *want* to pursue those dream jobs). Lots of people look down on teachers as underpaid and mixed up. Yet, here we are...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Amanda...you can verify that by the high quality comments that you've received. You raise a really thoughtful question about teaching/values/risks of indoctrination, etc. One piece of advice I would offer is that if you're up front about things and own your own experiences (without assuming universality) you're probably off to a good start. Kids need to hear how adults make sense of the world, though, and your thoughtful approach to such matters will be a really good model.
    In fact, your post put me in mind of an idea I read in the writing of Nel Noddings, a teacher educator and scholar with a strong interest in how teachers care for their students gets enacted. I'll leave you with her thought that "students long to hear from their teachers about what constitutes the good life. Especially if teachers love to teach--if they affirm that they have chosen to teach and to remain in teaching--their stories have a special credibility as glimpses of the good life...Even if students do not adopt the hobbies or modes of life described by their teachers, they may learn something about alternative definitions of success, fun and responsibility" ("Postmodern musings on pedagogical uses of the personal," by Nel Noddings in Journal of Curriculum Studies, 1994, vol. 26, no. 4, p. 356).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, I too have been wrestling with my own ideas about being a teacher. I think (hopefully) that we have time to come to terms with our own approach to education and school! However, just thinking about where you stand is a great start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You say some really thought-provoking things here... I totally agree with you on the conflict of, who are we to decide what's acceptable? It makes me think of how practicing teachers say, no matter what you do or how you handle things, someone won't be happy, some parent will complain. It's just a fact of life that everybody has very different opinions and views on things, and what makes teaching tricky is that the way we choose to do our job affects children and what/how they learn... which puts us under more scrutiny than a lot of people. I guess we just have to stand firm, and make sure we are open-minded; this way we don't get backed into a corner of defensiveness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the questions you raise here. The one that really jumped out at me was the one about whether or not college is right for all students. I think you point out a good distinction here between the students who know they should pursue another path and those students who simply lack confidence. It hits a personal note for me because when my little sister came home after a year of college, she told my parents that she "felt more comfortable with a toolbox than she did with a backpack." College wasn't the best thing for her. She has gone on to be incredibly successful--she has a great job, owns a house, travels, and most importantly, she's feels happy and satisfied. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete