Saturday, July 3, 2010

Reflection After First Class

One of the things that struck me most about our first class discussion was how technology could be a really useful tool for the classroom when it's used in a meaningful way. It made me think about how in my schooling experience with technology, the way in which it was used was limited, probably partially due to my teachers not knowing the potential of the resources they had available to them. I want to know that potential. I want to be able to use technology in a way that meaningfully aids the learning process of my students.

I'm not really one for seeing the use or fun in video games, but knowing that a majority of my students will probably play them made me think about the potential connection to classroom learning. What if I could relate the content of my lesson to the current interests of my students? How much more effective could I be as an educator if I took an interest in what my students liked to do and made the connection for them between what I'm trying to teach them and the skills they develop everyday through these activities?

I don't know a thing about video games, but if I can relate the content I'm teaching through them and build on students' prior knowledge--if I can become a more effective teacher--I think they're worth learning about.

7 comments:

  1. Here, here! Keep that thinking coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll have another opportunity to think about how to connect with our students and their interests when we read John Dewey's "My Pedagogic Creed" for next week. Dewey believed that we, as educators, needed to know enough about our students so as to be able to craft experiences for them that would connect their interests with real-world purposes and "educative" experiences that would help them make sense of the work done by adults and the function of society. Nice ideas...carrying them out is tricky, though. I'm looking forward to carrying forward and continuing to wrestle with the spirit of your post and its meaning, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, this is a very interesting perspective to consider. What if as teachers we focused a little less on what WE want students to know and a little more on how to build upon what they already know? Of course I think we are also obligated to present new information and not limit ourselves to what students are familiar with. But it is worth considering how educators could do a better job of meeting students where they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One thing I definitely wonder is whether when we were in high school, teachers just didn't know about the technology they could use, or whether things have just progressed so quickly that a lot of tools used today weren't available when we were in high school. For example, I'm pretty sure I didn't even know what a blog was in high school, but were other, more progressive and tech savvy schools already using them in the classroom circa 2003, and my teachers just didn't know? Or was it still uncharted territory for everyone? I guess it doesn't really matter, I just wonder about the nature of technology, and how long it has to exist before people catch on and start using it, and especially start using it for education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a generous stance. I've always been into video games, but I can see how it would be easy to react in a way that pushes away the unfamiliar and makes one's students feel as though they are being chastised for liking what they like. I think the tricky thing about working with popular games is how not to alienate students who, much like you, might not be into video games. It's a different scenario, but I once had a teacher who tried to connect to students via his love of baseball. The few kids who were into it were more engaged than ever, but the rest of us felt like the odd men out. I'm similarly excited to see how 504 elaborates on the video game/cell phone conundrum.

    Also, will integrating technology kids love into the classroom lower their "cool" factor? Just a question to ponder...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like your attitude towards technology. It's one that I hope I, too, can adopt. I often have to remind myself that just because I don't like something doesn't mean it shouldn't be liked. When we show an interest in our students' interests, it opens the door to better relationships and allows us to engage in much more meaningful ways. I look forward to reading more of your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amanda -

    I really like the point you made about relating to your students. I agree that one advantage of using videogames in the classroom is that so many kids these days play videogames, so it brings something from their world to help them learn. I think this logic could apply to other things, like Facebook or Twitter, and could further help teachers connect with students in a way that is familiar to them.

    ReplyDelete