Thursday, July 29, 2010

Initial Reflection on the Public and Private Spheres of Gen M

What caught my attention when reading the chapter by Klapperstuck and Kearns was Gen M’s general expectation to be "involved, engaged, and in control of the creation and consumption of content” (p. 117). They don’t want to be told what is valuable or to be handed a final product that allows for no input. They want to be involved and hold a stake in what they consume. It is so exciting to me that they want to be innovative and creative in everything they do or are involved in. It also makes me think about how today’s high school students fare in traditional classrooms where the teacher tells and students are expected to intake and replicate. It makes me think about how I want students in my classroom to hold stake in what they’re expected to learn, while also recognizing that I have some responsibility to uphold standards. Is having input in content decisions and being creators of curriculum and products how Gen M learns best or how they prefer to interact with material? Is finding that middle ground good enough?

The needs and desires and lifestyle of Gen M seem to be a paradigm shift in just about everything. Because the online and physical worlds are indistinguishable to them, what was considered private to the generations before is more “publicly private” for Generation Millennium. Their access and potential influence is global. This takes me back to my fears, which may be a byproduct of my thinking belonging to an older generation, of a lack of knowledge about the implications of making private information public… and permanent. How do I teach my students responsible technology use when they may not even be able to conceptualize the risks or consequences involved in a globalized world? It also makes me think that I might be paranoid. Maybe Gen M is just ahead of the curve. Maybe they are the curve. Maybe they even created it. Good or bad, they are shaping what constitutes privacy and connectedness. And, right or wrong, I think I have some responsibility of my own to at least inform them of what they might be getting into.

Right?

5 comments:

  1. Jenna, I completely agree with what you said about having a responsibility to teach our students about responsible internet use. I mentioned it in my own post, but I think it is our duty to make students aware of the fact that whatever they say or do online is out there for all to see. Privacy doesn't mean much in this digital age.

    I also like your thoughts about letting students take responsibility for what they learn. That, to me, is one of the biggest potential advantages of tech in the classroom. When students are directed to sources of digital research, they can explore topics that are of interest to them. I think it is absolutely a good use of our teaching time to show students HOW to find information on whatever they want, rather than just telling them what we think they should know. As I've said countless times, we live in a world where just about any information is a few computer clicks away. Let's teach kids how to make those clicks before we try to teach them anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You thought about preference vs. "good enough" gives great food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn. I see how this may be a "paradigm shift" like you said, but I also hesitate to accept the article's view that Gen M is so completely different from the rest of us. At times I felt like there was too much stereotyping of Gen M as being incapable of separating from their iPods and cell phones. Is this accurate? Is it helpful to make those kinds of assumptions about an entire generation? I don't know . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this week’s article, I also became concerned, because our future leaders “Gen M” do not seem to be overly concerned with privacy. I guess in general when compared to adults, children are less experienced and therefore tend to be more naïve?
    In a technological world, we certainly should educate our students to be careful, because damage to one’s identity is difficult to undo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just want to reinforce your inclinations here, Amanda. I think that you do have a responsibility to raise some of the issues related to their digital footprint/digital safety, etc. More importantly (to my mind) I applaud your engagement with questions of how you might give your students a more meaningful stake in their own learning. I don't know how this will unfold for you, and I would encourage you not to worry about it. The simple fact that you're thinking about this so seriously means that you're ahead of the game, and that you'll be looking for such opportunities...there's no doubt that you'll find them. Enjoy the search, Amanda...

    ReplyDelete